Owner Paul Farrell began renovations of the former Pizza Time building in late 2016 and opened this past week on Thursday.
The Bier Cellar is opening a second location at 593 Main Street in Gorham.
We will spend the next couple of months building out the new location right on Route 25, located near Lone Pine’s new space as well as the beautiful new Sebago Brewing complex and right down the road from Mast Landing in Westbrook. We want to be a part of making Gorham a craft beer mecca just like we have watched the City Of Portland became one of the best craft beer destinations in the United States since we opened in 2012.
Boston.com has published an interview with Alison Pray from Standard Baking about her Beard Awards nomination for Outstanding Baker.
Pray described herself as “stunned” that her bakery, which specializes in old world-style breads, rolls, and pastries, is still on the Foundation’s radar. Bakeries, Pray said, are places that do “behind-the-scenes work — it’s not as glamorous as the restaurant world.” At Standard Baking Co., she strives to serve the repeat customer, the person who comes in every morning to buy their “daily bread.”
Tipo is launching a guest chef pizza series during April and May. Each Wednesday night for the next two months Tipo will be selling a custom pie designed by a local chef:
- April 4 – Courtney Loreg, Woodford F&B
- April 11 – Pete Sueltenfuss, The Otherside Delicatessen
- April 18 – Brant Dadaleares, Gross Confections Bar
- April 25 – Lucy and Ian Dutch, Dutch’s
- May 2 – Krista Kern Desjarlais, The Purple House
- May 9 – Karl Deuben and Chef Bill Leavy, East Ender
- May 16 – Mike Wiley & Chef Andrew Taylor, Hugo’s/Eventide/Honey Paw
- May 23 – Ilma Lopez, Piccolo/Chaval
- May 30 – Jason Loring, Nosh/Hunker Down
A few years ago Blue Rooster did something similar with guest chef designed hot dogs, and a food blogger named Chubby Werewolf stepped up to write a review of each week’s special. I wonder who will be game for writing about all 9 of the pies in this series.
Mainebiz has published an article about Gaetano Ascione, the new chef at Tiqa.
The native of Naples, Italy, has led kitchens in Germany, France, Singapore, and has also prepared meals for Nelson Mandela, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter. He’s now bringing his “good food” approach to the three-year-old Mediterranean-themed restaurant at 327 Commercial St., replacing Bo Byrne, who left in January.
This year’s Fabulous Femmes dinner is scheduled to take place on April 22nd at Chaval and tickets are now available online. The benefit dinner for the Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital is a collaboration of among an all female line-up of many of Maine’s most outstanding culinary talents:
- Cara Stadler from Tao Yuan, Bao Bao, and Lio
- Krista Kern Desjarlais from The Purple House and Bresca And The Honey Bee
- Melissa Kelly from Primo Restaurant
- Kim Rodgers from Eventide, The Honey Paw, Hugo’s, and Little Spruce Baking Co.
- Ilma Lopez from Chaval and Piccolo
- Briana Holt from Tandem Coffee
- Alysia Zoidis from East End Cup Cakes
- Erica Archer from Wine Wise
Portland Wine Week (website, facebook, instagram, twitter) is launching a weekly email newsletter. It’s a great way to keep informed on all the new events and ticketing availability—one event has already sold out and others are on there way.
Upcoming issues of the newsletter will include profiles and interviews with speakers, winemakers and local sommeliers.
Sign-up today to be in the loop and receive the first issue of the newsletter which goes live tomorrow.