An urban farming company called Vertical Harvest (website, facebook, instagram, twitter) is planning to build their second hydroponic vertical greenhouse in downtown Westbrook. Co-founders Nona Yehia and Caroline Estay expect to start construction in 2021.
Vertical Harvest provides “consistent, meaningful employment” for people with intellectual and physical disabilities. Their focus is to “create partnerships to build cost effective, profitable hydroponic farms that will not only act as innovative urban models for growing fresh food, but will have a substantial social impact.”
The 70,000 square-foot Vertical Harvest Westbrook located on Mechanic Street will initially grow a variety of microgreens and lettuces. It’s estimated this vertical farm will produce a million pounds of produce per year. In addition to wholesale partnerships with hospitals, corporate cafeterias, schools, chefs, restaurants, caterers and more, the Westbrook location will also have a consumer marketplace and plans for a presence at farmer’s markets.
The company anticipates bringing 50 full-time equivalent jobs to Westbrook.
Vertical Harvest got their start in 2016 with the launch of their first vertical greenhouse in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
Co-founder Nona Yehia stated, “We have felt a kinship with Maine for quite some time. At our beginning stages 10 years ago, Vertical Harvest Jackson engaged the same engineer as Backyard Farms in Madison, Maine. Wyoming and Maine have more in common than just a four-to-five month grow season and drastic seasonal climates – they have polar rural and urban areas, there is deep rooted respect for the environment, the farming and food communities are a source of pride, and there is a sense of responsibility to serve the job and food insecure population. With our second location for Vertical Harvest, we feel honored to become a part of this special state and Westbrook community.”
A documentary about Vertical Harvest called Hearts of Glass was recently released. Here’s an excerpt from the film.
Mainebiz has published a Q&A with Maine Foodie Tours that explores how they’re adapting to operating their business during the pandemic.
A new food truck called Little Easy Snoballs (website, instagram, facebook) is in the final stage of development and owner Lauren Gauthier plans to launch Little Easy in the next couple of weeks.
Gauthier (on left in photo) always wanted to have her own snoball stand while growing up in Southern Louisiana. After she and her wife Cassie Pruyn moved to Portland last summer Gauthier began working on Little Easy to bring a taste of home with her.
Snoball flavors on tap for Little Easy will include standards like “nectar cream, wedding cake, tigers blood (combo of watermelon, coconut, and strawberry), ice cream, rainbow (strawberry, ice cream and bubble gum), cotton candy.” Gauthier also plans to serve a rotating list of house-made flavors such as “raspberry-mint, Thai tea, chai latte, cafe au lait, strawberry rhubarb, lemonade, limeade”. Customers will be able to get their snoballs “topped with marshmallow fluff, condensed milk or stuffed…[with] ice cream in the middle.”
Gauthier plans to locate Little Easy on Back Cove on weekdays and on the Eastern Prom on weekends. The truck will also be available for catering.
Back in mid-April, a three alarm fire knocked the Browne Trading retail store on Commercial Street out of commission. The retail shop is in the process of being redesign and rebuilt.
Like before the new Browne Trading shop will sell seafood, caviar, wine and other provisions. The shop will also feature a more robust seafood smokehouse operation than before with two full time seafood smoking experts on staff.
Browne Trading hopes to relaunch this fall.
Orenda and Peter Hale have shared their decision to permanently close Drifters Wife, their outstanding and award-winning restaurant on Washington Ave.
We will try to be as concise as possible for your sake, but mostly for ours, because this is very difficult to say: we have decided to close Drifters Wife. After 5 years in business, as of last Fall, we were finally debt free. Now, just months into the Covid pandemic, that is no longer the case. We need to adapt to what is happening in the world right now. We will keep our beloved space at 59 Washington Avenue but need to re-imagine what’s inside.
The announcement goes on to say, “When the time is right and it’s safe, we will open the doors to the shop and to this new space: a space with you, all, in mind, where we can gather closely with loud music, and share a drink. Or many.”
The Hale’s wine shop Maine & Loire remains in business. You can learn more about what they have in stock via their instagram account and place a order for contactless curbside pick-up by phoning (207) 805-1336.
Drifters chef Ben Jackson is a 2020 Beard Award nominee in the Best Chef Northeast Category—the 2020 award winners will be announced in late September. Jackson is collaborating with More & Co. on a private dinner series at the More & Co location in Yarmouth. Dates are still available in August and September.
Here are just a few of the many photos I have taken over the years at Drifters.
I’m happy to announce the release of the 2020 PFM Printed Pocket Guide. This handy paper reference highlights many of the restaurants, bakeries, breweries, coffee shops, cocktail bars, and cafes that make eating and drinking in Portland so interesting. It also includes highlights of a few places to dine elsewhere in the state worth the drive.
Use the pocket guide for ideas on where to go, and consult the information here on PFM for the latest information on which restaurants are offering takeout, outdoor seating or indoor dining.
Many thanks to the Pocket Guide sponsors for their generous support, which enabled Portland Food Map to produce and print this resource:
While supplies last you can pick-up your very own copy of the guide at these local businesses: Rose Foods, Tandem Coffee in the West End, the Portland Trading Company, Little Woodfords, or Oxbow Brewing on Washington Ave.
The pocket guide wouldn’t be as good as it is, in fact it wouldn’t exist at all, without help from the extended PFM team of Dawn Hagin from Rare Bird Strategic, and from graphic designer Sofija Razgaitis. My thanks to both of them for all their hard work on the project.
Here’s the ever growing list of takeout/delivery with subsections for restaurants, coffee & tea, bakeries/bagels/donuts, beer/wine/distilleries, delivery services, markets and other food shops. The list is updated and re-categorized on a daily basis so check back to see if a favorite of yours is back in business.
- Do you want to eat outdoors? Then see this list.
- Do you want to eat indoors? The check out this list.
- Do you want curbside cocktails? Look for listings that have the 🍸 icon next to them.
- Do you want to order groceries along with dinner? There is a list for that too.
- Do you live outside Portland? Then check out these restaurant takeout lists for Bangor, Brunswick, Falmouth, Freeport, Gorham, Kennebunk/Kennebunkport/Arundel, Midcoast Maine, Mount Desert Island, Old Orchard Beach, South Portland and Cape Elizabeth, Westbrook, and Yarmouth. There’s also a limited list of restaurants in the Portland suburbs at the bottom of this page.
RESTAURANT TAKEOUT/DELIVERY IN PORTLAND
- 2 Dine In – handles food delivery for 129 restaurants.
- CarHop – started as an alcohol delivery service but has now added food delivery for local restaurants such as Boda and The Great Lost Bear.
- 207 Bar and Restaurant – has takeout starting on June 26th. (207) 613-9330.
- A & C Grocery – has takeout. Order online.
- Ada’s – has their full menu plus fresh and frozen pasta, sauces and market items available for takeout and has launched a delivery service. (207) 805-1139.
- Amato’s – has takeout. (207) 773-1682.
- Anania’s – continues to do takeout.
- Anthony’s Italian Kitchen – has curbside takeout and delivery. You can order online.
- Artemisia – will start serving takeout on July 8th. (207) 761-0135.
- Asmara – has takeout. (207) 253-5122.
- Baharat – has takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Banh Appetit – has curbside takeout and delivery. (207) 613-9399.
- Bao Bao – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Bayside American Cafe – has curbside takeout Friday through Monday. Order online.
- Bayside Bowl – has curbside takeout. Order online.🍸
- Bayou Kitchen – has takeout.
- Becky’s Diner – has curbside takeout.
- Benkay – has curbside takeout and delivery. (207) 773 5555.
- Bill’s Pizza – has curbside takeout. (207) 774-6166.
- Binga’s Stadium – has curbside takeout. (207) 699-4263.
- Bird & Co. – has curbside takeout. (207) 747-4056.
- Black Cow – has curbside takeout available, Wed – Sun, noon – 10pm. Order online. 🍸
- Blake Orchard – has curbside takeout at their Forest Ave location. Order online.
- Blue – has curbside takeout. Order online.
- Blue Spoon – Blue Spoon East has curbside takeout with a home delivery service under development. (207) 773-1116.
- Blyth & Burrows – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Boda – has curbside take-out. Call (207) 347-7557 or order online. 🍸
- Bonobo – has curbside takeout. (207) 347-8267.
- Boone’s – has curbside takeout. Order online.
- Bubble Maineia – has curbside takeout. Order online.
- CBG – has takeout.
- Central Provisions – has curbside takeout. In addition to meals to go, Central will sell a house-made line of spice mixes. Order online. 🍸
- Chaval – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Cheevitdee – has takeout. Order online or call (207) 747-4795.
- Churchill Events – has takeout and delivery. Order online.
- City Deli – has takeout. (207) 772-9620.
- Coals Pizza – has curbside takeout and delivery. (207) 747-5747.
- Cocktail Mary – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Commercial Street Pub – has curbside takeout. (207) 761-9970.
- Crooked Mile Cafe – has takeout from their location on Milk Street.
- Crown Jewel – will launch their dockside takeout on June 25th.
- Crunchy Poke – has takeout and delivery. (207)835 0838.
- Daily Greens – has takeout. (207) 747-4920.
- David’s – has takeout. Order online.
- DiMillo’s – has curbside takeout. (207) 772-2216. 🍸
- Dos Naciones – has takeout. (207) 536-0045.
- Down Town Lounge – has takeout. (207) 773-1363.
- Duckfat – has curbside takeout. (207) 774-8080.
- Duckfat Friteshack– has takeout.
- Dutch’s – Dutch’s has their full menu available for takeout. Call (207) 761-2900 to place an order or hear about specials.
- East Ender – has curbside takeout. (207) 400-9971.
- Eaux – has takeout, Friday through Sunday. The do offer a discounted package deal if you pre-order but there’s an extensive regular menu too. Order online or call (207) 835-0283.
- El Corazon – has takeout. Order online or call (207) 536-1354.
- El Rayo – has curbside takeout and delivery. (207) 780-8226. 🍸
- Empanada Club – has pick-up and delivery. (207) 835-1142.
- Evo Kitchen + Bar – has curbside takeout. Order online.🍸
- Figgy’s – has always done takeout and continues to do so. (207) 805-0085.
- Flatbread – has takeout. Order online.
- Gilbert’s Chowder House – has a takeout window and curbside pick-up. (207) 871-5636.
- Green Elephant – has curbside takeout.
- Gritty McDuff’s – has curbside takeout and delivery. Call (207) 772-2739.
- Hi Bombay – has curbside takeout, (207) 772-8767.
- Highroller Lobster Company – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- India Palace – has takeout. (207)-773-1444.
- Isa – Isa has takeout. (207) 808-8533.
- Ishi Ishi – has takeout for dinner. (207) 272-9280.
- Izakaya Minato – is taking pre-orders for lunches on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and dinner on Fridays and Saturdays. Order online.
- Katahdin – has curbside takeout. (207) 774-1740.
- King of the Roll – has takeout. (207) 828-8880.
- Knotted Apron – has curbside takeout and delivery. “Delivery will be free of charge to the Rosemont, Deering, Back Bay and Oakdale neighborhoods and you will get a chance to meet Owner/Chef Ryan! Stay tuned for our new made from scratch take out menu and our hours of operation.” (207) 805-1523.
- Lazzari – has curbside takeout and delivery. Order online or call (207) 536-0368. 🍸
- LB Kitchen – has curbside takeout and delivery of their new LB x Home menu of prepared/bulk items. Order online or call (207) 775-2695.
- Leavitt & Sons – has takeout from both their locations.
- Leeward – has takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Liquid Riot – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Little Giant – has curbside pick-up of meal kits, wine and beer, and an a la carte menu. Order online. 🍸
- Leonardo’s – continues to do takeout and delivery. Order online.
- LFK – has takeout.
- Local 188 – has family-style take out options. (207) 761-7909.
- Luis’s Arepera – has takeout. (207) 284-5007.
- Luke’s – has takeout of their regular menu, as well as DIY kits, and fresh lobster meat, crab meat, shrimp is available for purchase in 1/2 lb increments in packaged containers. (207) 274-6097.
- Mainely Noods – has takeout and delivery. (207) 536-4014.
- Maiz – has a takeout service and delivery. (207) 400-2881 or order online.
- Mami – curbside takeout. Order online.
- Marcy’s – is open for takeout on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Maria’s – Maria’s is now offering curbside takeout and delivery. (207) 772-9232.
- Market Street Eats – has curbside takeout. Order online or call (207) 773-3135.
- Mi Sen Noodle Bar – has curbside takeout and delivery. Order online.
- Miss Portland Diner –has curbside takeout. (207) 210-6673.
- Mister Burger at Floods – has takeout. Order online.
- Monte’s – has curbside takeout. (207) 613-9873.
- N To Tail – has takeout. (207) 773-2900.
- Noble BBQ – has takeout. Order online.
- Nosh – has curbside takeout. (207)553-2227.
- Nura – has takeout on Thursday through Sunday (pre-orders encouraged but not required). Order online.
- Old Port Slice Bar – has takeout.
- Olive Cafe – has curbside takeout. (207) 772-6200.
- Other Side Deli – both the West End and Deering deli locations (207-761-9650 East Deering, 207-874-7414 West End) have curbside takeout.
- Other Side Diner – has drive-thru takeout.
- Otto Pizza – has delivery and takeout. You can order online at ottoportland.com.
- Paciarino – has curbside takeout. (207) 774-3500.
- Pai Men – has curbside takeout. (207) 541-9204.
- Palace Diner – has takeout 7 days a week. Ordering online.
- Panda Garden – has takeout. (207) 874-6935.
- Pat’s Pizza – has takeout. Order online or call (207) 699-4455.
- Petite Jacqueline – has curbside takeout. (207) 553-7044.
- Pho Huong – has takeout. Order online.
- Pizzaiolo – has takeout and delivery. (207) 300-6035 or order online.
- Pizza Villa – has curbside takeout. (207) 774-1777.
- Pizzarino – has curbside takeout. (207) 536-1189.
- Po’Boys and Pickles – has a takeout service and sells frozen gumbo to go from their Forest Ave location. (207) 518-9735.
- Pom’s Thai – Pom’s various restaurants have curbside takeout, the number for the Congress Street restaurant is (207) 772-7999.
- Portland Hunt and Alpine Club – will launch curbisde cocktail takeout on Thursday April 30th. Order online. 🍸
- Portland Lobster Co. – has takeout.
- Portland Mash Tun – has curbside takeout. (207) 261-0490.
- Portland Pie Company – has curbside takeout and delivery. To order call (207) 772-1231 or at www.portlandpie.com. 🍸
- Quiero Cafe – has takeout, 11am – 8pm. Order online or call (207) 546-7033. 🍸
- Quinn’s Bardega – at the Mellen Street Market has curbside takeout. (207) 772-2206.
- Ramona’s – has takeout. Order online.
- Ribollita – has curbside takeout. Call (207) 774-2972 to order.
- Roma Cafe – has curbside takeout. Order online.
- Saeng Thai House – has takeout and delivery, 11am – 8pm. Order online.
- Sagamore Hill – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Saigon – has takeout. (207) 874-6666.
- Salvage BBQ – has takeout and neighborhood delivery. (207) 553-2100 or email@example.com.
- Samuel’s – has takeout. (207) 797-6924.
- Sapporo – has takeout. (207) 772-1233.
- Schulte & Herr – has curbside takeout. (207) 773-1997.
- Shay’s – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- Sichuan Kitchen – has curbside takeout. (207) 536-7226.
- Sip of Europe – has takeout and delivery. (207)370-7535.
- Sister’s Gourmet Deli – has curbside takeout. (207) 536-4932.
- Slab – Slab has curbside takeout. Their menu will be updated each morning on the Slab website. (207) 245-3088.
- Solo Italiano – has launched a takeout and delivery service. You can see their new Solo To Go menu online, and place your order by phone at (207) 780-0227.
- Sun Vietnamese – has takeout. (207) 613-9036.
- Sur Lie – has curbside takeout as well as a groceries and meal kits. Order online.
- Taco Escobarr – has curbside takeout and delivery. (207) 541-9007. 🍸
- Tally’s Kitchen – has takeout.
- Tandoor – has takeout. (207) 774-4259.
- Thai Essan – has curbside takeout. (207) 536-0752.
- Thanh Thanh – has takeout. (207) 828-1114.
- The Crooked Mile Cafe – has takeout from their location on Brighton Ave. Order online.
- The Great Lost Bear – has takeout. (207) 772-0300. 🍸
- The Local Press – has curbside takeout. (207) 773-0039.
- The North Point – has curbside takeout. Order online. 🍸
- The Sinful Kitchen – has takeout. (207) 536-0611.🍸
- Three Dollar Deweys – has takeout. (207-772-3310.
- Tomasso’s – has takeout and local delivery. Order Online.
- Tu Casa – has takeout. (207) 828-4971.
- Union – has takeout. Order online or call (207) 808-8700.
- Union Kitchen/Black Tie – on Commercial St has takeout and delivery. Order online or call (207) 761-6665.
- Vena’s Fizz House – all their mocktails are available for curbside pick-up. (207) 747-4901.
- Veranda Noodle House – has takeout. (207) 536-1996.
- Veranda Thai – has takeout. Order online or call (207) 874-0045.
- Vientiane – has takeout. (207) 879-1614.
- Wilson County Barbecue – has takeout. Order online.
- Woodford F&B – has curbside takeout. To order call (207) 200-8503. 🍸
- Yardie Ting – has curbside takeout. Order online.
- Yosaku – has curbside takeout. (207) 780-0880.
- Zen Chinese Bistro – has curbside takeout. Order online.
BAKERIES, DONUTS & BAGELS
CANDY, CHOCOLATE, ICE CREAM, GELATO
COFFEE, TEA & JUICE
BEER, WINE & SPIRITS
- CarHop – handles delivery for a growing number of breweries and distilleries. Check their website to see if the list includes one of the ones you’re interested in.
- Drizzly – Drizzly is an alcohol delivery service that delivers for Old Port Spirits and Old Port Wine Merchants.
- Some restaurants have launched up curbside cocktail services.
- 1820 Wines – has partnered with The Cheese Shop and Mill Cove Crackers to produce a wine, cheese and crackers package (with delivery within Portland. Online ordering for delivery and pick-up.
- Allagash Brewing – has launched Allagash on the Fly a curbside takeout option as well as a delivery service. “You can now choose from a big list of Allagash beer—both year-round and limited-offerings—reserve beer online, and stop by our tasting room to pick up your pre-packaged order without ever leaving your car.” Order Online
- Anoche – is selling cider to go from their takeout window, Friday – Sunday.
- Austin Street – has takeout of their beer from both locations.
- Banded Brewing – has cans ready for takeout.
- Battery Steele – has takeout and delivery which you can order online.
- Bier Cellar – continues to operate and will do curbside service and online ordering.
- Bissell Brothers – now delivers. Order Online.
- Bow Street Beverage – has curbside pick-up. (207) 228-2024 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Extrava – has takeout.
- Fore River Brewing – has curbside pick-up.
- Foulmouthed Brewing – has curbside takeout for their food and beer. Order online.🍸
- Foundation – has takeout which you can order online.
- Friendly Discount Beverage – has delivery. Call (207) 747-5754.
- Good Fires – has curbside sales/pick-up. You can order online.
- Grippy Tannins – has curbside takeout. Call (207) 747-4524, text (207) 650-1195, or email email@example.com.
- Hardshore – has curbside pick-up of cocktail kits and spirits. Order online.
- Liquid Riot – has curbside pick-up and delivery (along with a food menu) through Carhop. Order online.
- Lorne – has curbside pick-up and delivery. Order online.
- Lone Pine – has cans and bottles for takeout at their Portland location which you can order online.
- Maine Beer Co – MBC is selling takeout beer and pizza which you can order online.
- Maine Craft Distilling – MCD is selling cocktail mixer kits and spirits for pick-up or delivery.
- Maine & Loire – has launched a delivery service for mixed half /whole cases. Order Online.
- Mast Landing – has curbside takeout and is now doing their own delivery 3 days a week to select towns. Order Online.
- Ohno Cafe – has a wine/beer/cider delivery service “Email orders and requests for current beer and cider to ohnocafeportland@Gmail.com. Include your address, Venmo, and phone number. Those without Venmo will be called for a credit card. Orders received and paid by 4 pm delivered today!” Check their instagram account for details on what they have available.
- Old Port Wine – has curbside pick-up.
- Oxbow Brewing – has launched a delivery service with online ordering.
- Portland Beer Hub – has pickup and delivery, and you can order online.
- Rising Tide – has curbside pickup, and you can order online.
- RootWild – has launched a takeout service.
- RSVP – has curbside takeout. (207) 773-8808.
- Shipyard – has curbside pick-up. Call (207) 761-9665 to order or go online.
- Stroudwater – has pick-up for their spirits and cocktail mixing kits. (207) 808-3363. 🍸
- Three of Strong – is open for curbside pick-up, 12-6 daily, with spirits and cocktail kits. Order online or call (207) 899- 4930.
- Urban Farm Fermentory – has curbside pick-up. Order online.
GROCERIES & GROCERY DELIVERY/PICK-UP
- Portland Farmers’ Market – continues its 252 year history with markets on Wednesday and Saturdays in Deering Oaks.
- Rosemont – Rosemont now has both:
- curbside pick-up from all locations, order online
- home delivery, order online.
- and both the Brighton Ave and West End stores are open for to in-store shopping.
- Portland Food Co-op – has daily hours (10-11 am) for immune compromised, elderly and disabled shoppers. They are open 11 am – 2 pm, 3 – 6 pm for everyone else.
- Lois’ Natural Marketplace – has re-opened both locations. For curbside orders call (207) 210-6500 (Portland) and (207) 885-0602 (Scarborough).
- Big Tree Hospitality – is running a grocery out of their Biddeford commissary kitchen. Order online.
- Buy Direct from Farms – a list of farms in Maine that sell direct published by the University of Maine Extension…there’s also another website that presents the same data in a different format called beansuppah.com.
- Farm Drop – a farm and food producer agregation platform with a weekly pick-up on Thursdays in Bayside. Order online.
- Milk & Honey – has launched a farm food pick-up service. “farm food , wholesome , delicious, nutritious and clean from our farms to your trunk. Tuesdays , Thursday’s and Saturday’s 2-4 pm…Text Lauren your order or questions 2072487396 and pay Venmo Lauren Pignatello or I’ll square invoice you.”
- Stonecipher Farm – will be holding an “open air, safe-distance, 4 week vegetable CSA program. Pickups will be on Saturdays from 4:00pm-6:00pm” in the parking lot at Local 188. They’re also partnering Solo Italiano on selling 4-week and 13-week shares for pick-up at Solo Italiano on “Saturday between 3&8 or Sunday between 1&6.”
- Solo Cucina Market – is providing curbside pick-up. Order online or call (207) 808-8507.
- Fresh Approach – has a takeout and delivery available Monday through Friday (Monday through Friday 8am to 7pm, Saturday 9am to 7pm, Sunday 9am to 5pm). Call (207) 774-7250.
- Safari Grocery – is open at 30 Washington Ave. (207) 805-1219.
- Sun Oriental Market – has curbside service, Mon – Sat. (207) 772-8675.
- Pats Meat Market – has curbside pickup. Text (207) 553-0990 or call (207) 772-3961 to order.
- La Bodega Latina – continues to be open.
- Micucci’s – is still open. (207) 775-1854
- Monte’s – has curbside pick-up for grocery items. (207) 613-9873.
- A growing number of restaurants and bars are now selling groceries and other provisions.
- Fork Food Lab – has launched an e-commerce site selling provisions from the start-up businesses that use their kitchen.
- Native Maine Produce – has a home delivery.
- Maine Market Basket – has a new grocery delivery service. Order online.
- The Cheese Shop – The Cheese Shop is providing curbside takeout “We strongly encourage our curbside pickup option -simply call us, talk through your order, give us 30 minutes to put it together, and we’ll run it out to your car when you pull up.”
- The Cheese Iron – has curbside takeout and delivery. They are also selling their excellent sandwiches. Call (207) 883-4057 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Heritage Seaweed – has curbside pickup, and the store is also open to the public.
- Fiore – located inside Ada’s does curbside takeout. (207) 801-8978.
- Vena’s – will be opening their retail with “to-go mocktails, and carry away cocktail kits”.
- North Atlantic Naturals – has home delivery of food as well as cleaning and paper products.
- Instacart – Instacart handles delivery for Shaws.
- Whole Foods – Whole Foods has a grocery delivery service for Prime members.
- Forage – has put together a map of local farms and fisheries that sell direct.
RESTAURANTS OUTSIDE PORTLAND
- Do you live outside Portland? Then check out these restaurant takeout lists for Bangor, Brunswick, Falmouth, Freeport, Gorham, Kennebunk/Kennebunkport/Arundel, Midcoast Maine, Old Orchard Beach, South Portland and Cape Elizabeth, Westbrook, and Yarmouth. There’s also a limited list of restaurants in the Portland suburbs further down this page.
- 33 Elmwood – has takeout for lunch and dinner. (207) 536-7061.
- Batson River – has takeout and delivery pizza from their brewery/distillery. Order online.
- Big Fin Poke – has takeout and delivery. Call one of their three locations or order online.
- Brea Lu Cafe – has takeout. (207) 591-0611.
- Brickyard Hollow – has takeout and delivery.
- Buxton Common – has takeout and delivery. Order online.
- Chia Sen – is open. Order online.
- Cia – has takeout sandwiches and coffee. (207) 747-4414.
- Dizzy Bird – has curbside takeout of ready to eat and frozen dinners (chicken pot pie, shepherds pie, etc). (207) 494-7089.
- Dunstan Tap & Table – has curbside takeout. (207) 219-8024.
- Ela Market & Grill – (207) 781-5251 or order online.
- El Rayo – the Scarborough location has curbside takeout. (207) 883-8226.
- Elsmere BBQ – has curbside takeout from their location in South Portland. See their menu. (207) 619-1948.
- Enio’s – has takeout. You can see their latest togo menu online. (207) 799-0207.
- Frog and Turtle – has takeout. (207) 591-4185.
- Hana Thai – has takeout through their drive-thru window as well as delivery. (207) 799-9997.
- Maggie Mae’s –has curbside takeout with “meals to bring home and heat up, and an expansive salad bar” which you can order online.
- Montecito Roadhouse – has their chips as well as burritos and other foods for takeout.
- New Gloucester Village Store – has prepared foods and take/bake items.
- Nonesuch River Brewing – has curbside takeout. (207) 712-5095.
- OReilly’s Cure – has takeout and delivery. Order online.
- Rivalries – has closed their Portland location but they do have curbside takeout from their spot in Falmouth, 11:30am – 8pm. (207) 747-4020.
- Romeo’s Pizza – has take from their locations in Yarmouth and Scarborough.
- Royal River Grill House – has takeout and delivery. (207) 846-1226.
- Sea Glass – the restaurant at Inn by the Sea has launched a takeout service. (207) 799-3134.
- Taco Trio – has takeout and delivery. You can order online or call it in (207) 767-9055.
- Taj – has takeout.
- The Garrison/Thoroughfare – has takeout. Order online.
- The Good Table – has takeout. (207) 799-4663.
- The Maine Bagel – has curbside takeout and a drive through window. (207) 883-0070.
- Tuscan Bistro – has takeout and delivery. (207) 869-7200.
- Tuscan Table – has takeout and delivery. (207) 536-0240.
- Uncle Andy’s Diner – has curbside takeout. (207)799-7199.
- Verbena – has curbside takeout. Call with orders or questions (207) 767-2011.
If you know of something I’m missing then please post a comment or email me at email@example.com.
The 2020 lists from Opinionated About Dining on the top restaurants in the fine dining, cheap eats, heritage and gourmet casual categories are now out.
Here’s a summary of the Maine restaurants in each category:
- Fine Dining
- Hugo’s is #16 on the list
- Cheap Eats
- Chase’s Daily in Belfast
- Holy Donut
- Standard Baking
- Eventide is #2 on the list
- Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is #198 on the list
- Gourmet Casual
- Central Provisions is #96 on the list
A new food truck called Actual Foods (instagram) is set to launch this Friday.
You can find them Friday at the Urban Farm Fermentory from 5 – 7.30 where they’ll be serving a limited menu on their opening day. Moving forward their plan is to be located at the Eastern or Western Promenade on Wednesdays and Thursdays, at Austin Street (Industrial Way) on Fridays, and at UFF on the weekends.
Owner Steffy Amondi shared that the food truck will serve
fresh, made to order wok-style bowls in a fast casual manner. Our menu features few simple, fresh, easy to prepare ingredients tied together with chef inspired sauces- making it a great way to create your own bowl with different permutations yielding completely different flavors.
Here’s a look at the menu:
In addition to ready to eat meals, Actual foods also plans to eventually sell prepared meal packages for simple final preparation at home.
Down East has published an article about Sam Hayward as part of their 200 Reasons to Love Maine feature in the July issue of the magazine.
Even as a thought experiment, the idea is scary: imagine a world without Maine chef Sam Hayward, who cofounded Portland’s renowned Fore Street restaurant in 1996. The East Coast may never have had its answer to Alice Waters. The now-lauded Portland restaurant scene may never have found its footing. And the downstream repercussions? A generation of Maine farmers decimated, lacking the markets of restaurant kitchens run by creative young chefs who, without Hayward’s influence, may never have been drawn to Maine.