Restaurants, bars and other hospitality businesses in Portland are responding to Covid-19 in a variety of ways focused on enabling social distancing and supporting the health of their customers and staff. Here is an incomplete and growing list:
- Seemingly nearly every business I track has posted some statement on social media in the last few days detailing the steps they’re taking to dial up cleaning procedures. including frequent sanitizing of surfaces, door knobs and menus.
- Encouraging the use of self service credit card terminals and systems like Apple Pay over cash.
- Removing some table and bar seats to provide greater personal distance between their customers.
- Coffee shops have discontinued the refilling of reusable mugs.
- Items like water stations, napkins and disposable utensils are now being dispensed by staff rather than being self serve.
- Emphasizing or transitioning entirely to a food to-go model.
- Instituting new curbside pick-up or delivery services to provide alternative ways to continue to serve their customers.
- Reminding customers that their food is available via delivery services like 2DineIn.
- While most restaurants are staying open a few are choosing to close for a period.
Check your favorite spot’s social media accounts for more details about what they’re individually doing to address the situations.
Please post a comment and let me know if you see additional approaches emerging that should be highlighted in this list.