I’ve been getting a number of requests the last couple of days for a list of black-owned restaurants and bars. Here are the ones I know of in the Portland area—please let me know if you know of any that are missing and I’ll add them to the list.
- 207 Bar & Restaurant – an African/Caribbean restaurant on Cumberland Ave
- Actual Foods – a food truck
- Asmara – an Eritrean restaurant on Oak Street
- Black Betty Bistro – a catering business
- Burundi Star Coffee – a coffee shop on Saint John Street
- Knitting Nook – a cafe and knitting shop in South Portland
- Little Easy Snoballs – a new food truck serving Louisiana-style shaved ice
- Magnus on Water – a cocktail bar in Biddeford
- Mainely Hot Dogs – a hot dog food truck
- Niyat Catering – a catering business operating out of Fork Food Lab specializing in Ethiopian food
- Red Sea – an East African restaurant on Washington Ave
- Rwanda Bean Coffee – a coffee shop with locations in South Portland and on Stevens Ave
- Soul Food Paradise – a takeout restaurant operating out of Fork Food Lab
- Yardie Ting – a Jamaican restaurant located in the Public Market House
For a list of black-owned businesses in a range of industries across the state of Maine see blackownedmaine.com.