The James Beard Foundation has released the list of nominees for the 2020 awards program. Of the 11 semifinalists here are the 2020 nominees from Maine, all in the category of Best Chef: Northeast:
- Vien Dobui, Cong Tu Bot
- Ben Jackson, Drifters Wife
- Krista Kern Desjarlais, The Purple House
- Greg Mitchell and Chad Conley, Palace Diner
This is the second time as a final nominee for Krista Kern Desjarlais, and the first time for everyone else.
It’s also nice to see that Gado Gado in Oregon make the Best New Restaurant list. Gado Gado was opened by former Maine culinary couple Thomas and Mariah Pisha-Duffly. Thomas was the original chef at The Honey Paw.
Prior award winners, award committee members and regional judges will now complete the final ballot. Based on those results, the award winners will be announced on September 25th.
- Maine Award Winners, Nominees and Semifinalists – a complete digest, 2008 – 2020.
- Award and Nomination Process – learn more about the award nominations process.
- James Beard in Portland – James Beard taught several days of cooking classes in Portland in 1964.