The annual food issues of Maine and Down East magazines came out this week.
The March issue of Maine magazine includes:
- Joe Ricchio’s take on the state’s 6 best cookies (personally I’d add the sea salt chocolate chip at Aurora Provisions)
- An article on healthy eating
- A profile of forager Evan Strusinski
- A “cross-section of Maine’s most interesting chefs [and] the foods they really care about”
- Interviews with restaurant managers at 555, Francine Bistro and Zapoteca
- An article about Maine Maple Sunday
- A profile of Jarrod Spangler who works as a butcher at Rosemont
- A great cover photo of Steffi and Brian Davin, owners of Schulte & Herr
and in Down East you’ll find:
- An extensive guide to cheap eats across the state
- An article about Maine Maple Sunday with tasting notes from a dozen sugar houses
- An article about Moxie
- An article about the Maine eel fishery
Neither magazine has published their articles online yet (hint hint!) but the magazines should be available at your favorite local bookstore.