Here’s a look at the top food news from 10 years ago in March 2008:
- Forbes Traveler recognized The Great Lost Bear as one of the Best American Beer Bars, “Maine is a craft-brewing mecca, and there’s no better place to sample the Northeast’s bounty than this nearly 30-year-old institution offering a mind-boggling 52 taps.”
- Mayor Suslovic welcomed to town a master distiller from Bushmills Irish Whiskey.
- Hilltop Coffee moved across the street leaving the space that’s now occupied by Willa Wirth.
- the 2nd edition of Deathmatch took place.
- Foley’s Bakery closed.
- Olive Garden was ranked 2nd in the Best Restaurant category in the Press Herald readership poll.
- Blogger Beer, Maine & Me complained that, “We have a ton of great breweries, brewing lots of great beers, representing all different styles, but no IPAs that we can really brag about in the arena of holier-than-though hoppiness.”
- Rob Evans was a nominee for the 2008 James Beard awards in the Best Chef: Northeast category.