For the August issue of Food & Wine magazine Bizarre Foods host Andrew Zimmern has assembled a list of 10 of his favorite dishes from Portland restaurants.
In my childhood, I passed through Portland every year on my way to Camp Moosehead. Since then it has become one of America’s great restaurant cities. My parents retired here years ago, and I’m hard pressed to think of a small town with as large of an impact on the country’s food scene. I am here often, baseball cap on my head, enjoying a great meal.
Featured in the article are the following:
- Meat Coma Platter at Salvage BBQ “best sliced brisket in recent memory”
- Seared Foie Gras at Central Provisions “the foie gras is superb”
- Crab Salad at Vinland “the Scandi-style fits the natural landscape of Maine perfectly”
- Steamed Lobster Roll at Eventide“the kitchen is jamming on all cylinders”
- Lobster Dumplings at Empire “This place is mobbed, even in winter, when other places aren’t”
- Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dog at Blue Rooster “awesome sandwiches”
- Cheeseburger with Gochujang at Small Axe “from the playful minds of chefs Karl Deuben and Bill Leavy”
- Poutine at Duckfat “the menu is loaded with winners”
- Mussels with Almond and Garlic at Fore Street “the mussels…are legendary”
- Grilled Swordfish Belly at Miyake “the wait is worth it”
Update: The article is now online.