Many hospitality businesses have closed temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic. Most will re-open, but not all. We won’t know the full scale of the impact to the industry for many months to come.
It’s been my experience that the loss or gain of a single individual can dramatically change the nature of a team. Similarly, the Portland and Maine food scenes will be significantly impacted by every location and company that closes, and by each business that had been under development that never opens its doors as planned.
Throughout the remainder of 2020, this page will document the closings and consolidations as they happen.
- Arabica Coffee has permanently closed their Commercial Street location. They will be consolidating bakery operation to Free Street and are in the process of leasing a new space for a roastery and coffee bar. (5/1/2020)
- Farm to Coast Cafe permanently closed their brick and mortar cafe in Biddeford and is “reevaluating their business” overall. (5/3/2020)
- 3rd Annual Portland Wine Week was cancelled but the organizer Erica Archer is confident the celebration will be back in June 2021. (5/4/2020).
- On the Marsh Bistro in Kennebunk has permanently closed after 20 years in business. (5/4/2020)
- MOFGA decided not to hold the Common Ground Fair in 2020. They’re exploring holding a virtual event. (5/5/2020)
- The Maine Cheese Guild has cancelled the 2020 Maine Cheese Festival (5/5/2020)
- Uncle Andy’s in South Portland will permanently closed at the end of May. They’ve been in business for 66 years. (5/8/2020)
- The 2020 Saint Peter’s Italian Bazaar was cancelled for 2020. This would have been the 95th Annual Bazaar. Organizers fully intend to bring the event back in 2021. (5/12/2020)
- The Denny’s in Ellsworth and Biddeford are closing permanently (5/12/2020)
- LB Kitchen has permanently closed their West End location on York Street. (5/20/2020)
- The Yard/The Whiskey Barrel (5/21/2020)
- Wild Burrito has permanently closed. (5/24/2020)
- Pearl Ultra (5/17/2020)
- Royale Lunch Bar (5/29/2020)
- Miller Brothers Seafood (5/29/2020)