The highly anticipated opening of Jackrabbit Cafe (instagram) is slated to take place late next month—tentatively on
April 21st May 5th. The bakery and cafe from Elda (instagram) chef/owner Bowman Brown will “focus on Scandinavian-inspired breads and pastries as well as seasonal vegetable dishes, sandwiches, and heartier small plates”.
Jackrabbit is located in the first floor of 14 Main Street in Biddeford. The second floor of the newly renovated building will be the future home of Elda when it re-opens.
Brown moved to Maine from Salt Lake City where he was the co-owner and chef of Forage. He was a Food & Wine Best New Chef in 2011. Additionally, Brown was six time Beard semifinalists in the Best Chef: Southwest from 2011 to 2016. Elda was named one of the Best New Restaurants in America by Bill Addison at Eater in 2018, and was the feature of a New York Times article in that same year.
Here’s a look at the draft menu for opening day at Jackrabbit:
8 am and on…
- Triple cream yogurt, maple granola, grapefruit
- Raw oatmeal, almond milk, chia, blueberry, lavender
- Rolled omelet, on toasted spelt brioche, onion marmalade
- Avocado hummus, grilled whole grain flatbread
- Crispy potatoes, pork green chili, poached egg
- Sourdough waffle, brown butter syrup, berries, vanilla crème fraiche
10:30 and on…
- Smoked trout, on danish rye toast, crushed peas, radish
- Potato soup, hake, celery, wild garlic
- Warm asparagus salad, toasted seeds, whipped egg yolk
- Green salad, young lettuce, almond ricotta, snow peas, herb dressing
- Salmon tartare, sprouted grains, avocado, nori, jalepeno
- Fried pork sandwich, milk bread, charred cabbage, onion mayo
- Russian dumplings, beef and smoked beet, sour cream, dill